home | tutorials | deals | reviews | subscribe | link | about | contact us

10.13.2008

The House

Hi everyone! I've decided to start a new section on my blog called "Let's Talk!" because I would love to get to know you all better. I read your comments every day, but I don't get the chance to actually talk with you and start a discussion. First off, I want you all to know that you are all awesome, and I am so grateful for you coming to my site. I love being able to let you all know about fun sites, and most of all, helping you guys get cool, free stuff! And you all are helping me do that, the more people I get coming the more companies are willing to give, so thank you for coming! :)

Now, my topic today is, "What are you wanting so badly right now? And what is standing in your way?" The reason behind this topic, a house. Me and my husband found this adorable little house (when I say little, I mean little, can we say 740sf?) Though, just for the record, me and Aaron have always said we don't care if it's small, as long as it's open. And we are planning on tearing down the wall between the kitchen and the living room and creating a nice open space. Also, the ceilings are 10ft high, which is nice, and the roof is really steep, so we're thinking we could put a loft up there overlooking the living room and putting in vaulted ceilings. Plus, it's on a huge lot, that we could even divide and sell if we wanted to, but we don't because we want a big yard :)

This house isn't even on the market, we found out about it through someone Aaron works with. The lady that owns it inherited it, and she is willing to part with it for $79,000. So Aaron talks to her, tells her we're wanting to get it before the end of the year. We go and talk to a super nice lady, Katrina at American Home Lending, about what we can get for a loan. Since it's in one of the smaller towns, it qualifies as a Rural area, so we can get a rural loan, (I can't remember what it's called) that requires nothing down. Yay! Oh, and by the way, we found out we are a whopping $99 over being low income, lol, so we like to brag about how "rich" we are.

Anyways, so we are still waiting to hear about the loan, though it's looking good. In the meantime, Aaron calls the owner and tells her about the loan. This is last Thursday. She informs us that renters are moving in on Saturday! What?!!!! Someone's moving into my house? I can't begin to tell you how upset I am about this. I mean, we agreed on $79,000 in the condition it was in, who knows what renters will do. And I'm not paying for it to be fixed if they mess the place up.

She tells Aaron that they weren't wanting to sell until the beginning of the year because it would be rude to kick her renters out. So what do I do? Does anyone out there have any advice for me? I love this house and want it so bad, and it's the only one I can get, everything else is too expensive. But the owner has made everything so complicated, I now feel guilty because I don't want to be the one to kick the new renters out. Ugh....so that's what I want, and that's what's standing in my way.

So, I'd love to hear your stories about what you are all wanting. What's going in your lives? Maybe we can help eachother find some answers! :)


Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 Thoughts:

caralaw said...

Oh dear - that is a real predicament. I can offer no advice, only let you know that I feel for you. We found a house we loved in the village we live in - nothing major, just a little larger, and we fell in love with it. We put an offer in, all was going swimmingly then someone else came by. Offered less - but were ready to go sooner than we were and we lost it. :(

If this is your dream home - try to find a way to secure it. If that means renters in the meantime, go with it. Don't lose your dream just because of one issue (although its a fairly big issue :D )

Greta said...

Do you know how long the lease is that the renters have signed?

Could you just have a contingent contract to buy it when their lease is up...contingent on it being in the same shape it is now?

Katie Lyons said...

Hi Greta! I'm pretty sure there isn't a lease on the place, my husband is calling the owner tonight to talk to her yet again, so I'll have him ask her that.

Rosebud Collection said...

Now this is terrible and the owner is not a very honest person..I am sorry, but you don't do that to people..Is there something in the renters lease that states, "if property is sold" lease is null and void? I rent property and it is in our lease..check it out. Just something to think about..

Katie Lyons said...

Rosebud Collection: I know! I couldn't believe she did it either. I have no clue what the renters lease states, the owner didn't call us back last night. Hopefully she'll call tonight. It's beginning to make me not want the place, you know?

bonobo said...

With this kind of shady behavior, I would make sure I had a great agent, and/or a decent lawyer to go over all the paperwork. If this is any indication of what's to come, if you want that house you need to be prepared. Good luck!

BAL's mom said...

Katie,
Wow, people in this world need a good kick in the butt sometimes, I don't understand why people can't just be straight forward and honest. We are building a house, I order something I go to pick it up and oh by the way the stuff you ordered 4 weeks ago we couldn't get what do you want instead, um, well something that I can put in on Friday because the tile needs to go down. We have 35 days until closing, we are a military family ready to call this home for more than 2 years but our stuff has been in storage since February and then you deal with people that just don't care. You paid them and now you wait on them. Thankfully our contractor isn't afraid to step in when I'm put out, and he has stepped in on this one issue, there have been many before this he has dealt with too. Find an honest person, you will find a home, just this one may not be right for you.
If it is it will work out.

Katie Lyons said...

Hi BAL's mom,
They didn't call you to tell you you couldn't get it? How frusterating! At least you have a good contractor that will help you out, though. I'm assuming you're building a house? That's something I would absolutely LOVE to do someday, me and Aaron want to design and build the house we'll retire in. I would really like to build "secret" rooms, how fun would that be? :)
And I know, if it's not meant to be it's not meant to be, I was just getting my hopes up. But, maybe if this doesn't work out, it at least gave us the kick in the pants we needed to get approved for a loan and start looking. Who knows? Maybe we'll find something even better. :)

T.Allen-Mercado said...

Oh dear, I'm sorry. The owner doesn't sound on the up and up...I'd be concerned that there's be further complications along the process. That woyld stink since you clearly really want this place. Without sounding cliche, I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket. Continue to look while working with the owner for the best possible outcome.

I'm glad you added this element to your blog, I missed you!

Mom on a coulee said...

Hi Katie,
So I changed my sign on I was a little bored tonight, so now I'm mom on a coulee, because our backyard to our new house goes down a hill to a coulee, which is a creek thing here in Montana, I had to ask when I first heard the word. We are building a house something I'd never planned on in a million years, it is fun and challenging. I will continue to post updates as we go, we should move in in 35 days. And you may find something even better, it is always good to hope though even if you get let down. Life always has a surprise around the corner even if it is in the form of a child's new skill or something that comes out of their mouth.

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile :)